Friday, September 25, 2009

Avery is 3 Weeks Old...Mom is 25!


Today is my birthday...25 on the 25th. This year, I must say I have the best gift ever! Avery is 3 weeks old and growing so fast! I weighed her yesterday at the Breast Feeding Support Group and she is now 7.11, which means she gained a little more than a lb in a week! Her umbilical cord stump actually fell off exactly 21 days after she was born, so she is going to get to take her first real bath very soon.

She is a side sleeper, just like her Mommy and even sticks her butt out like me. She has hiccups at least 3 times a day but never gets upset with them. This isn't a surprise though, because she had them all the time in the womb. She also sucks her thumb when she can find it!
She is so alert and has started to really pay attention to the mobile and mirror on her swing. She is finally able to fit into some of her newborn outfits and she is absolutely adorable in them.

So far, she is still napping and eating well. Sometimes she fights sleep a little, but eventually goes down. She will take a bottle, but when we tried to substitute it for nursing at her 2:00 feeding she would not go back to sleep. We concluded that she liked the food, but needed the nursing for the comfort to fall back asleep. So, I decided I would rather spend an 45 min. nursing than 3.5 hrs. trying to get her to fall back asleep and all has been good since. Hopefully she will be sleeping through the night in a few weeks anyways. Sometimes we give her a bottle around 6:00 p.m. instead, just so Levi can enjoy feeding her too.

I had my first scary mom moment yesterday. My blood sugar plummeted and I had to call my mom to come over to help me and to take care of Avery. After I got home from the support group, I started feeling dizzy. I got through feeding Avery and thought that I better lay down. She needed her diaper changed and during that I continued to get more dizzy. I remember thinking that I wouldn't be able to carry her from the changing pad to our bedroom. Somehow I did, but when I laid down in our bed, the entire room was spinning and I felt incredibly nauseous. So, I called mom and she left work immediately. Avery started crying and I managed to get her up on my chest and she fell asleep; Thank God! When mom got there, I had stumbled to the bath room to get the garbage can and was leaning on the wall because I couldn't stand. She helped me back to the bed and got me a cold wash cloth. About 2 minutes later, everything came up. Mom then watched Avery and I slept for almost 2 hrs. After discussing my food intake for the day and activities, we determined it was blood sugar. I have a history of these attacks, but haven't had one since college in 2006. Being sick as a mom with a little one, is so different than being sick alone. I was so worried about her and worried that I was going to pass out. I am going to be a lot more aware from now on about eating.

Until next time...

1 comment:

kpmantooth said...

Oh girl!!! So scary about the blood sugar stuff. I have never had anything diagnosed but when I was working out and nursing, I had to eat around the clock...and still eat regularly when I wasn't. Half PB&J sandwiches saved me!!! Happy birthday, and the pictures are beautiful!!!