Sunday, March 1, 2009

Crazy Weekend Weather: Part I

Wow! What a wonderful/scary weekend it has been...Our Sunday was awesome! We were like little kids once we saw there was snow on the ground. But I will begin with Saturday morning…

Levi left for work in Tallassee at 5:30 a.m. because they needed an engineer to make sure a new part was up and running. All week the news had been reporting that there would be storms Friday and Saturday morning, but that they didn't think they would be severe. Well...they were wrong. Long story short, Levi ended up having to go to his company's "safe place" because a funnel cloud was spotted over their building. A tornado actually touched down a couple of miles from where he was, but thankfully no one was injured. A little later in Auburn, we were placed under a tornado warning and I along with our dogs, headed to our "safe place" in the hallway. I wish I had a picture of us three sitting there with the flashlight and weather radio...the dogs were truly scared, I think that they could hear the wind more than I could. The news kept saying if you are within 5 or 6 miles of Tigertown take cover now...so we did.

As most of you know, Levi and I are from what I like to call "Tornado Alley" Northwest Alabama. We take tornados seriously, because almost everyone from home has been personally affected by their devastation. My mom's house was blown away when she was 10 and I mean it was totally gone, nothing left. Ironically enough, the next day after that storm it snowed too. Without a tornado warning…Levi's family's business, his car, and most of downtown Haleyville was blown away in November of 2001. These are just a couple of examples, I have many more. So you can see why when growing up, if there was a threat of sever weather, my mom always made my siblings and I put our shoes and pants next to our bed so we could be ready to head to the basement.

Here, no one takes the warnings seriously. It baffles us. Just remember, if you are with us during a tornado warning, prepare yourself to head to a place of safety!

No comments: